Despite the struggle and depression towards the end of the year, this has been the best year of my life.
I spent time teaching school children how to program after successfully raising funds to buy Raspberry Pi computers and partnering with my University.
I helped to form and run a Nerf Gun society at University.
I graduated from University with a second class honours degree in Computer Science after spending four years working my arse off.
I travelled to Dublin Ireland, Paris en Français and Amsterdam in The Netherlands.
I started to learn French again, I haven’t practiced it since I was 16.
I spent three months in the USA visiting Yellowstone National Park, Las Vegas and a huge part of the midwest. This was a defining and eye opening experience for me.
I randomly met with a friend from Sponsorcraft whilst in London and was offered a job over breakfast in Covenant Garden.
I moved to London.
I also finally admitted to myself and my family that I suffered from severe depression. I began taking medication to deal with it.
I helped to organise and talk at the Django User Group for London.
I met some of the most amazing people at parties, gatherings and meetings whilst in London. Time spent in Wayra UK has been especially important towards building new relationships.
I built an API for Pokémon that got way more attention than I originally anticipated.
The next year
2013 was huge for me, I can only hope that 2014 is even better. This next year I want to:
- Travel to more places in the world and visit America again.
- Attend and speak at more conferences around the world.
- Really try to make an important contribution to the Python, Django and developer community.
- Form as many new friendships as I can.
- Improve my dress sense and my personal confidence.
- Focus on beating my depression once and for all.
- Drastically improve my personal and professional development.
- Make myself happy.
Let’s see how it goes :)